trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Jenkins-time check to make sure Messages Guide isn't getting further out-of-date
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2016 21:41:17 GMT
By the way, thanks to Steve Varnau for the Jenkins suggestion.

From: Dave Birdsall
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:39 PM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Jenkins-time check to make sure Messages Guide isn't getting further out-of-date

Hi,

JIRA TRAFODION-2283 notes that our Messages Guide is getting increasingly out-of-date with
respect to the code.

I recently developed a script (see JIRA TRAFODION-2380) which measures the differences between
the Messages Guide and the code. With the latest Trafodion code, we have 579 matching messages
and 2864 mismatching messages.

Analyzing the differences, it's clear that some work was done on the Messages Guide side to
improve the English but that text didn't get back into the code. Meanwhile, SqlciErrors.txt
has evolved significantly as new errors have been added and old ones changed. So there is
a rather lengthy picking-and-choosing exercise required to bring them back into sync, selecting
the best text from each.

Going forward, I think it would be good for developers to get into the habit of updating the
Messages Guide when they update SqlciErrors.txt.

One way to make this happen would be to add a Jenkins Build-time check that measures the difference
(as the script above does) and insures that the difference isn't getting larger with the check-in.
JIRA TRAFODION-2390 describes this idea.

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Please feel free to comment in the JIRA itself. Here's
a link: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRAFODION-2390

Thanks,

Dave