trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Sandhya Sundaresan <sandhya.sundare...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Help committing a PR
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:24:21 GMT
Hi Suresh,
  The 2.1 branch was branched off at a stable point when all the regressions were running
clean. We'd like to keep it as stable as possible and not add any new commits to it.
So unless it's feature like the Python installer which is part of the planned content for
2.1 and we know has a couple of issues, we don't need to commit to 2.1.   The author can make
that determination in most cases and if not check on this dev list or me.

Yes the instructions on this link are valid : https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Merge+Changes
Make note of the following that is already documented in it :

"Target Branch
Before beginning, make careful note of what branch you are merging to. At the top of the pull
request, you'll see words like, "So-and-so wants to merge n commits into apache:target_branch
from github_user:some_other_branch. Most of the time, target_branch will be "master", but
occasionally you'll see a release branch instead, e.g., "release1.3". In the instructions
below, if the target_branch is not "master", replace "master" with the name of the target
branch."

Sandhya

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Subbiah [mailto:suresh.subbiah60@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:18 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Help committing a PR

Hi,

I am trying to merge Zalo's PR 958 to the incubator-trafodion branch. I use Hans' myapachecommit
script to merge PRs. Today I find that it does not work and gives this error message.
"unable to determine target branch of pull request"

I can see that the grep/sed command used by myapachecommit script may be thrown off by the
creation of the 2.1 branch. I can try to fix that.
However I am not sure if I should be merging new PRs to the release2.1 branch or to master.
I can see that Ming merged to master a few hours ago.
Steve's PR 974 is slated for release2.1. My questions are

1) Does the author of the code make the determination on which branch to merge to? Does the
committer have any guidelines or checks to do before merging the change (regarding target
branch)
2) I suppose the commit procedure described here is still valid to push to master. How should
they be modified to push to release 2.1?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Merge+Changes

Thank you.
Suresh