trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: [RELEASE] 2.1 Release Branch Coming Soon -- Install documentation
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 21:57:06 GMT
What's the thinking on the legacy installer? Is it the intent that the Python installer will
replace it? If so, how fast?

Seems like the existing installer should be retained for 2.1 since it is tried and true.

The Python installer should be fully documented so that it will get more testing and usage.
Perhaps there should be a disclaimer: Try Python first and if there are issues, fall back
to the old one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Varnau [mailto:steve.varnau@esgyn.com]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 1:50 PM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [RELEASE] 2.1 Release Branch Coming Soon -- Install documentation

Regarding the upcoming release, we now have a new command-line installer (pyinstaller) and
an Ambari plug-in.

I am sure neither one of these has nearly as much testing/usage as the legacy command-line
installer.

Automated tests, for instance, have not yet switched to using pyinstaller (hopefully coming
soon).

There is a very small wiki page that gives a clue to developers about the installers (mostly
a pointer to the README in the source tree).
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Cluster+Installation

But the provisioning guide still discusses only the legacy installer (sections: 2,6,7,9).
http://trafodion.incubator.apache.org/docs/provisioning_guide/index.html

My question is which of these install tools should we document for release 2.1 in the guide?
 Should we stick with the tried-and-true option, or get the new methods out in front?  Opinions?

--Steve