trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Roberta Marton <roberta.mar...@esgyn.com>
Subject Update statistics and metadata tables
Date Tue, 30 May 2017 21:59:08 GMT
Today, we do not create histogram tables in schemas that contains system metadata tables such
as "_MD_" and "_PRIVMGR_MD_".  There is code in several places that check for system metadata
tables and skip operations related to histograms - such as readHistograms.  The intent, I
think, is to not allow update statistics on system metadata tables.

However, you can "update statistics on table trafodion."_MD_".<system table>" and the
update statistics code goes out and creates the necessary histogram tables.  So we are not
preventing update statistics.  However, code is not using statistics for these tables.

So, should we allow update statistics on metadata tables?

     Roberta