trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Sandhya Sundaresan <sandhya.sundare...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Using gitbox for apache/incubator-trafodion
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 23:56:09 GMT
+1   Sounds like the way to go, moving forward.
And yes maybe it's best we wait a bit for 2.2 although I see projects who've already been
on it  starting 8 months ago so it should be fairly issue-free I suppose.
Sandhya

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Varnau [mailto:steve.varnau@esgyn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:27 PM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Using gitbox for apache/incubator-trafodion

Hi,

I wanted to raise discussion of an option for how we use github.

Currently the incubator-trafodion repo on github is a read-only mirror of the ASF git repo.

The Apache infra group is now beta testing a new service called gitbox. It essentially makes
github a write-able mirror repo. This has a few benefits such as allowing committers to enable
github features (issues, wiki,...). But I believe the main benefit would be for committers
being able to merge pull-requests directly via a button on the github web page rather than
merging in local workspace via commands.

Since it is in beta, it is not prominently documented or advertised, but they are accepting
jira requests for groups that want to switch. Several projects, including some incubating
groups have already.  https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf

What is required?

  *   Since we already advise contributors to use github pull-requests, no change for contributors.
  *   Committers need to have their github IDs linked into their Apache profile.
  *   Committers need to set up Two-Factor-Authentication in github.  I have already enabled
this for myself. Once it is setup, it is not burdensome. (First time you login to github from
a new PC browser, you also need to provide second ID, such as a code from phone app.)
  *   Both requirements can be checked at https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

Even if we want to do this, it might be best to wait until after the 2.2 release.  Thoughts?

--Steve