trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduation -- Gaps To Get There
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2017 17:10:12 GMT
HI Atri, all,

Thank you for joining this mailing list and your contributions to move this
(incubating) project forward.

Please see my reactions inline.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been researching Trafodion's current status and want to start a
> discussion to understand as to what needs to be done to get Trafodion
> to graduate.
>
> Trafodion has been incubating for 2.5 years now and we should take a
> critical look at what needs to be done to get Trafodion to a TLP ready
> podling.

We're currently discussing the same in the private ML of the project. As
soon as we have something tangible to bring to this mailing list we will do
so.

> Few of my comments:
>
> 1) Growth of the community. I see that Trafodion has added few
> committers and PPMC members (which is great). However, I would like to
> understand the number of active contributors who are currently
> contributing rather than a specific set of people who are committers
> and make up the major portion of contributions to the project.

You can research the various public mailing lists of the project in:
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@trafodion.apache.org

> 2) Releases -- Trafodion's last release has had quite some distance
> from the release previous to it. Is there any specific reason for
> that?

This is a volunteer driven open source project, and the project can not
dictate where and where contributions will happen. Given that premise, no
schedule is available. Nor has anyone - as far as I can tell - ever
requested such a fulfilment as a piece of work of the project.

> 3) Homogeneous community -- Since Trafodion has a major investment
> from a specific company, do we have PPMC members and committers mostly
> from that company, or do we have heterogeneous community?
>
> Yes. See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors
The diversity aspect is currently also part of the earlier mentioned
discussion taking place in the private ML of the project.

> 4) Mailing lists -- I have been on the emailing list for less than 48
> hours, so please forgive my short sighted opinion, but I do not see
> much dev activity happening on the list. Is that a regular practise or
> something that we need to fix?

We (I) do (forgive you. :)
At the moment, we (the PPMC) don't see anything happening on our public
mailing lists that needs fixing. Of course, we all can have personal
viewpoints about what needs to be happening there as well as about how
frequents postings happen (and some may even argue by whom), but like I
said earlier the project can not dictate contributions. Each of our
contributors chips in when and where possible.