trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Proposal to build Trafodion on RH7
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:35:27 GMT
+1 It seems wise to at least include an RH7 build, otherwise we will break it with some of
our pull requests.

How is industry update of RH7 vs. RH6? I imagine there will be a time when we will stop supporting
RH6; do we expect that within months, years, decades?

-----Original Message-----
From: Selva Govindarajan [mailto:selva.govindarajan@esgyn.com]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:31 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Proposal to build Trafodion on RH7

RH7 g++ compiler is stringent than that of RH6. SQL code in Trafodion is already built with
an option to flag warnings as errors. With PR 1260 https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/pull/1260
(already merged to Trafodion master), Trafodion can be built successfully on RH7. However,
RH7 build hasn't been tested yet to run the regressions.

For contributors to be aware of the compilation errors with RH7 in their pull request, I would
suggest Trafodion can be enabled to be built on RH7 as part of check-PR. Then, it becomes
the responsibility of the contributors to fix the RH7 compilation issues before the PR is
merged to Trafodion master.

I would like to get some feedback on this proposal from the community.

Selva