trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Graduation of The (incubating) Apache Trafodion Project
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2017 22:13:02 GMT
Hi all

Soon our 900th day incubating will pass. During the past period since our
start in the incubator we - the community - have established an Apache
project that has shown that:

   - its members collaborate to create software for the public good in
   accordance with the Apache Way;
   - it can produce releases of its main product in compliance with the
   requirements of the Apache Software foundation;
   - it operates independently of any external party or parties.

During the period we have seen our community grow, and any contributor
willing to do more has submitted its iCLAs and completed details on the
Contributor page in our WIKI [1]. Several of those contributors have
accepted the invitation of the PPMC to join the our committer pool.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors

At the moment the PPMC feels that our project has taken in everything it
could benefit from being under the umbrella of the Apache Incubator
Project. We wish to express our gratitude and respect to our Mentors
(present and past) and any other Apache contributor that provided insights,
viewpoints and guidance.

Now the time is upon all of us to look at the road ahead and way forward.
We, the PPMC, feel that our Apache Trafodion Project is ready to graduate
from the incubator. A graduation process consists of following steps:

   1. a internal discussion on the path forward of our incubating Apache
   project and the proposed draft graduation resolution;
   2. vote within the incubating Apache project on the path forward (as per
   presented draft graduation process, when the internal discussion has come
   to its end);
   3. if 2 has a positive outcome: a discussion thread started in
   general@incubator.a.o with as subject and content the intent to graduate
   from the incubator and the draft graduation resolution of the incubating
   Apache Trafodion Project;
   4. If 3 has come to its end, call for a vote (within the
   general@incubator.a.o) on graduation of the Apache Trafodion Project
   with the draft graduation resolution as content;
   5. If the call for the vote in the general@incubator.a.o results in a) a
   quorum of binding votes participating in the vote, and b) the normal
   majority of that quorum expresses the +1 vote, then  the request to
   graduate (with the draft graduation resolution) will be brought before the
   Board of The Apache Software Foundation to have the Members of the Board to
   vote upon.

We therefore present you our draft graduation resolution below, and invite
you to share your viewpoints and ask any question relating to its content
and the graduation process as per item 1 of the list of steps presented
above.

Please keep in mind: this draft graduation resolution will be the subject
of a vote on graduation, which will be held:

   1. if and when the PPMC feels that the discussion has died down and a
   vote will gather a normal majority of voters expressing a +1;
   2. but not before the obligatory minimum period of 72 hrs has passed

*Draft graduation resolution of the (incubating) Apache Trafodion Project:*

Establish the Apache Trafodion Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to Apache Trafodion is a webscale SQL-on-Hadoop solution
enabling transactional or operational workloads on Hadoop. Trafodion
builds on the scalability, elasticity, and flexibility of Hadoop.
Trafodion extends Hadoop to provide guaranteed transactional integrity,
enabling new kinds of big data applications to run on Hadoop.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Trafodion Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Trafodion Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to Apache Trafodion
is a webscale SQL-on-Hadoop solution enabling transactional or
operational workloads on Hadoop. Trafodion builds on the scalability,
elasticity, and flexibility of Hadoop. Trafodion extends Hadoop to
provide guaranteed transactional integrity, enabling new kinds of big
data applications to run on Hadoop; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Trafodion" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Trafodion
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Trafodion
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Trafodion
Project:

 * Amanda K Moran     <amanda@apache.org>
 * Dave Birdsall      <dbirdsall@apache.org>
 * Gunnar Tapper      <gtapper@apache.org>
 * Ming Liu           <liuming@apache.org>
 * Pierre Smits       <pierresmits@apache.org>
 * Roberta Marton     <rmarton@apache.org>
 * Selva Govindarajan <selva@apache.org>
 * Steve Varnau       <svarnau@apache.org>
 * Suresh Subbiah     <sureshs@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Pierre Smits be appointed
to the office of Vice President, Apache Trafodion, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Trafodion Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Trafodion
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Trafodion podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project