trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Subbiah <suresh.subbia...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is the difference between hbase option COMPACT_COMPRESSION and COMPRESSION
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2018 23:24:02 GMT
Hi,

These are options HBase allows on Create Table. Trafodion passes these
options to the HBase layer as mentioned by Dave an others.

COMPRESSION specifies the type of compression that will be used to compress
data in HFiles (produced my memstore flushes or bulk load writes)
COMPACT_COMPRESSION specifies type of compression that will be used for
HFiles that are created by major_compact. The motivation for HBase allowing
two different compression types for one table is explained here.

Trafodion does not accept a compression type such as LZMA as mentioned in
this JIRA. If there is interest, please file a JIRA and we can add this
value quickly.

The HBase option COMPRESSION is described here.
http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/cdh/5/hbase-0.98.6-cdh5.3.2/book/apds03.html#compressor.install

Thank you
Suresh