trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Anoop Sharma <anoop.sha...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: purgedata can not be put in a transaction?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 04:43:43 GMT
currently, purgedata(or truncate) is a non-transactional operation.
It is performed by truncating the underlying traf/hbase object.
That truncate operation cannot be undone or rolled back as
it is not protected by traf transactional layer (dtm).

'drop table' on the other hand, is a transactional operation.
One can 'rollback' a 'drop table' and get the table back.

anoop

-----Original Message-----
From: Liu, Yuan (Yuan) [mailto:yuan.liu@esgyn.cn]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:15 PM
To: dev@trafodion.apache.org
Subject: purgedata can not be put in a transaction?

Hi Trafodioneers,

I found that purgedata can not be put in a transaction. If we put below rows after begin transaction,
error 20123 occurred.

>> begin;
>>purgedata test1;

*** ERROR[20123] A user-defined transaction has been started.

This DDL operation cannot be performed.

However, "drop" and "delete with no rollback form" can run normally. From my side, I think
both drop and purgedata are non-transactional, but why they behave different?
Is there any that we can workaournd this error?

Best regards,
Yuan