trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject FW: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:48:03 GMT
Hi Trafodion developers,

Can we think of some ideas that might be useful for a summer student to do? If so, see below...

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Ulrich Stärk [mailto:uli@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2018 1:23 PM
To: mentors@community.apache.org
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming

Hello PMCs (incubator Mentors, please forward this email to your podlings),

Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing students to spend their
summer working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for developing open
source software full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project ideas,
and in return have the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to identify
and bring in new committers.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't have
to apply separately.

If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following things as soon
as possible but please no later than 2017-01-30:

1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

2. record your project ideas.

Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2018, and they will show up at [3]. Please
be as specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language, the
tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed
to learn what's required before the program starts.

Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...)
or technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].

Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't use JIRA
(e.g.
httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org if you need assistance.

[4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2017 shortly).

3. subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org; restricted to potential mentors, meant to be
used as a private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org list as
much as possible please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of
your alias addresses on record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet, nevertheless you *have
to* start recording your ideas now or we will not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our prior
students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!

Cheers,

Uli

P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is free to be shared
publicly if you want to.

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
[3] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2018ideas