trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "Zhu, Wen-Jun" <wenjun....@esgyn.cn>
Subject about the length for varchar
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2018 08:06:43 GMT
Hi,

I find that there is a setting that controls whether the length is needed for varchar in file
sqlparser.y:
298 //This global is introduced to allow empty character length specifier
299 //(e.g. varchar) in VARCHAR for ODBC.
300 THREAD_P NABoolean empty_charlen_specifier_allowed = FALSE;

As I can see, it was always FALSE. What is it for?

In Oracle, sometimes the varchar can be supplied without length, like
       Xxx varchar,

To make this compatible with Oracle in these situations,
I'd like to set ` empty_charlen_specifier_allowed ` to TRUE.
But it would allow empty length for every situation, which (maybe) breaks previous usages.
And another issue, its default length is 1, which is too short. Can I make it larger?

If I make another rule for these situations, it takes a lot effects, including all kinds of
character types.
But I only care about the length of the varchar type. Is there some suggestion?

Regards,
Wenjun Zhu