trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Broeder <sean.broe...@esgyn.com>
Subject Re: Tables left over from regression test runs
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 00:02:01 GMT
If space is the issue, could we do a delete with no rollback instead of a drop?

Sean

> On May 1, 2018, at 4:51 PM, Anoop Sharma <anoop.sharma@esgyn.com> wrote:
>
> yes, it is true that some tests do not drop all the tables that are created as part of
that test.
> This is not always intentional and at times it is because one missed cleaning them up.
>
> But there are some advantages of not dropping tables at the end of a test run.
>
> - drop hbase tables take a non-trivial amount of time.  dropping all tables will increase
the time it takes to run a test.
>  This will also impact Jenkins as it runs tests after init traf which cleans up everything
> - is there a way to make dropping of table or dropping of whole schema faster? Using
concurrent drops? Or drop without disable(disable is where
> most of the time is spent due to mem flush). There is an hbase jira on drop issue but
no one has volunteered to fix it.
> - some tables are permanent (like from QAT) that should not be cleaned up
> - many tests drop tables at the beginning of the test or have an 'if not exists' clause.

> - one advantage of not dropping a table at the end is that sometimes an issue could be
diagnosed without having to recreate the table
> and associated dependent objects.
> - if the only objects on a dev instance are regression tests, then doing ilh_trafinit
will be much faster to clean up everything after full regressions.
>  But this would also nuke any non-regression traf objects so one need to be careful about
it
> - should we also find out why stopping hbase takes a long time. Is there something that
can be done to 'stop abrupt' on dev platform?

> anoop

memory usage and/or increasingly long times when stopping HBase.

> So, I'm thinking about cleaning up some of our regression tests to drop these tables
when they finish.

> Does anyone object to this? Or is there some pressing need to keep any of these tables
around after regressions complete?