trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Broeder <sean.broe...@esgyn.com>
Subject Re: Tables left over from regression test runs
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 00:06:11 GMT
I guess that would still leave the regions orphaned...

Sean

> On May 1, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Sean Broeder <sean.broeder@esgyn.com> wrote:
>
> If space is the issue, could we do a delete with no rollback instead of a drop?
>
> Sean
>
>> On May 1, 2018, at 4:51 PM, Anoop Sharma <anoop.sharma@esgyn.com> wrote:
>>
>> yes, it is true that some tests do not drop all the tables that are created as part
of that test.
>> This is not always intentional and at times it is because one missed cleaning them
up.

>> But there are some advantages of not dropping tables at the end of a test run.
>>
>> - drop hbase tables take a non-trivial amount of time.  dropping all tables will
increase the time it takes to run a test.
>> This will also impact Jenkins as it runs tests after init traf which cleans up everything
>> - is there a way to make dropping of table or dropping of whole schema faster? Using
concurrent drops? Or drop without disable(disable is where
>> most of the time is spent due to mem flush). There is an hbase jira on drop issue
but no one has volunteered to fix it.
>> - some tables are permanent (like from QAT) that should not be cleaned up
>> - many tests drop tables at the beginning of the test or have an 'if not exists'
clause.
>> - one advantage of not dropping a table at the end is that sometimes an issue could
be diagnosed without having to recreate the table
>> and associated dependent objects.
>> - if the only objects on a dev instance are regression tests, then doing ilh_trafinit
will be much faster to clean up everything after full regressions.
>> But this would also nuke any non-regression traf objects so one need to be careful
about it
>> - should we also find out why stopping hbase takes a long time. Is there something
that can be done to 'stop abrupt' on dev platform?

>> anoop

excessive memory usage and/or increasingly long times when stopping HBase.

>> So, I'm thinking about cleaning up some of our regression tests to drop these tables
when they finish.

>> Does anyone object to this? Or is there some pressing need to keep any of these tables
around after regressions complete?