trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Qifan Chen <qifan.c...@esgyn.com>
Subject Re: Standardize on java code style
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2018 18:22:36 GMT
If we adopt Google style strictly, then there may be differences in naming the class data members,
in a way  not compatible with our C/C++ coding conversion.  For example, we normally suffix
a data member with '_', which is not the case with the Google style, available here https://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html#s5.3-camel-case.
 In Google style, the naming conversion for data members are as follows.

Non-constant field names (static or otherwise) are written in lowerCamelCase.

These names are typically nouns or noun phrases. For example, computedValues or index.

5.2.6 Parameter names

Parameter names are written in lowerCamelCase.

One-character parameter names in public methods should be avoided.

5.2.7 Local variable names

Local variable names are written in lowerCamelCase.

Even when final and immutable, local variables are not considered to be constants, and should
not be styled as constants.

In addition, the # of white space characters to indent a new block of code or a switch statement
is 2, and tabs should not be used to indent blocks etc.

Sounds like we may need to either follow the Google style completely, or follow it in principle
but allow a slight deviation from it, such as suffix data members  with '_'.  I personally
do not use tabs for indentation and put 3 white characters before the start of a new block.

Thanks --Qifan