trafodion-user mailing list archives

From gupta.sh...@gmail.com
Subject Re: installation prerequisites
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:27:23 GMT
Thank you Venkat. Hortonworks will be good too. I will use the Sandbox.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 4, 2016, at 5:19 PM, Venkat Muthuswamy <venkat.muthuswamy@esgyn.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Sharu,
>
> If you are only looking to try out trafodion from an end-user perspective, you can try
the sandbox that Amanda created recently.
> You can find the details in this March archive http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-trafodion-user/201603.mbox/browser
under the topic “Trafodion 1.3 Sandbox”
> Note that this sandbox is based on Hortonworks 2.2 not CDH, if that will work for you.
>
> Venkat

to experiment with trafodion as an end-user. I am referring to the steps in the provisioning
guide for this purpose.

> Reading through the prerequisites and steps in the provisioning guide, I want to install
the binaries on a virtual machine (single-node environment). I need CDH 5.3 hadoop distribution
on the VM to get going.
> The problem I have is that when I go to http://www.cloudera.com/downloads/quickstart_vms/5-5.html,
I only see two options: download the VM installed with CDH 5.5 or CDH 5.4. (no option of getting
VM with CDH 5.3 or under)

> Christophe, you sent me a the link to get CDH 5.3. Would it be OK if I install CDH 5.3
hadoop distribution on my local machine and get started. I mean install hadoop CDH 5.3  and
trafodion on my machine instead of VM.

can still find CDH 5.3 here: http://www.cloudera.com/downloads/cdh/5-3-0.html

> Best,
> Christophe

have a particular use case in mind?

> The daily build that Amanda mentions is not necessarily ready for real use - it's a snapshot
build and so might contain incomplete fixes, partial updates, limited documentation, etc.

> The developer daily build is not  recommended for general release usage because it is
a snapshot for testing purposes and so the quality expectations are different.

> For more information on the daily build (especially if you're going to try to install
it), you can see the development list by subscribing to dev-subscribe@apache.incubator.trafodion.org
.  That list goes into deep technical details, build mechanics and more - definitely not a
general-purpose user list, as the daily build is not a general-purpose build!

> If you're interested in trying to build Trafodion or checking out a developer build as
part of becoming more deeply involved in Trafodion, there are plenty of people on the dev
list who can help you out!

> We're in the process of putting together Trafodion release 2.0 which is the official
path for supporting Trafodion on Cloudera 5.4.  I've been away at a conference this week,
so haven't seen the latest updates on release 2.0, but it should be going to release candidate
status very soon.