uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: SVN organization
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:24:34 GMT
> To me, the "SDK" has a meaning of adding tools, examples, etc. to a core
> thing.  Using it as a top-level collection name for the various
> framework implementations seems a bit "off".

I agree with that meaning of SDK, but seem to have come to the
opposite conclusion. :)  What I was proposing as uima-sdk does break
down into uimaj-core, uimaj-tools and uimaj-examples, among other
things.  It really does capture the whole SDK.

> I think our big code bases (Java, C++, maybe others in the future - e.g.
> C#, javaScript) could go into their own top-level things.  One criteria
> to balance here is independence of releases.  Each top level thing might
> reasonably be assumed to be release independent from other top level
> things. This isn't quite true with C++ and Java - they often have some
> (weak) dependencies due to naming issues, usually.

I'm not quite getting why Java-C++ have a tighter coupling than
Java-C# might have.

I do agree that the deciding factor should be whether these code bases
are released as one.  A related question would be whether they have
the same version number.  In the past our C++ version numbers have not
been in sync with our Java version numbers, but I don't think we were
ever entirely happy with that.  Maybe a tighter synchronization of
releases would be a good thing.

-Adam