uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: SVN organization
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:57:12 GMT
On 11/9/06, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> > So branching and tagging aren't very straightforward in that scenario.
> I'm not sure this is true.  Yes, creating a branch or tag is copying the
> whole project, but it is a lazy copy.  So, yes, it would "collect a bunch of
> things that didn't belong" - but does that cause a problem?

It doesn't make it impossible, just less straightforward.  By
straightforward I mean I can create a tag "version 1.2.3" that
contains only things that are actually in version 1.2.3, instead of
dragging along things that have nothing to do with that version.

Even if there's no technical barrier (seeing as svn realizes branches
and tags as copies anyway), to me it's a more natural mental model if
branches/tags actually correspond to a single artifact that will be /
has been released together.

-Adam