uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Creating components in JIRA
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:53:13 GMT
On 11/10/06, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> What's the trade-off between fine-grain (for example - each plugin is
> it's own component) versus coarser grained (have one thing for all plugins)?
>
> I'm guessing that some good criteria would be:
>
>   - obviousness (someone submitting an issue would find it obvious where
> it goes)
>   - not too fine grained (otherwise you lose summary info, or list
> becomes too long - not sure about this)
>   - each category can have a default initial assignee person
>
> My instincts point me toward wanting fewer categories here.  If the list
> gets to big, it's harder to find things.
> <snip/>

I'm OK with that fewer categories.  Those seem like good reasons.

> website
> documentation
> uimaj-core
> uimaj-collection-processing
> uimaj-????  (adapters, protocols, transports, ???)
> uimaj-examples
> uimaj-tools        <<< other than eclipse
> uimaj-eclipse-plugins
> uimaj-build        <<< build, packaging, distribution of uimaj
> legal        <<< license, etc. issues
><snip/>

Category names can have spaces and punctuation.  So we could have names like:
Website
Documentation
Core Java Framework
Collection Processing
Transport Adapters -- SOAP, Vinci
Examples
Eclipse Plugins
Tools
Build, Packaging
Legal, Licensing

We can rename the components later, so this doesn't have to be perfect.

BTW, I do have administration access after all, I was confused.  I
tested that I was able to create a component (the Website component).

-Adam