uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Code Style Guidelines
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:00:56 GMT
On 11/16/06, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> Trick for handling newlines:
>
> If the file in the repository has different nl chars from the one your
> comparing with in your workspace, you can easily just switch the
> workspace one to match:  highlight the file, and use the file menu ->
> convert line delimeters to... and switch them to match.

It's not that the newline characters are different (LF vs CRLF), it's
that they occur in different locations.  When Thilo ran the Eclipse
formatter, it wrapped all the long lines to 80 characters.  And every
line that was reformatted shows up in the diff.  I don't want to see
that.  I'd like to not have "line wrapping wars" where every time a
different person commits the file the line wrapping changes, showing
all sorts of insignificant changes in the diff.

-Adam