uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: use of the term XCAS
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:55:48 GMT
On 11/16/06, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> XCAS is used as
> a) the generic name for an externalized CAS
> b) a specific format for the externalized CAS (not XMI).
>
> In the documentation, should we use XCAS in the (a) sense, or substitute
> XMI-formatted-CAS (or another term?) for it?

I have generally used the term "XMI CAS" rather than XCAS, when
referring to the XMI version, but I don't feel too strongly about it.
Certainly this helps avoid confusion as long as the "old XCAS" format
is still around.

Dave Ferrucci is an advocate of saying something like "XMI is the new
format for XCAS", which is similar to your option (a), except I would
say "an XML CAS" rather than an "externalized CAS" since we never use
XCAS to refer to a binary serialization of the CAS.

-Adam