uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Pear installer API
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:19:29 GMT
On 11/29/06, Michael Baessler <mba@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the current UIMA API there are no classes provided to install a pear
> file out of the box. There are classes available that can be used, but
> they are not well documented and the user must know lots of details to
> get it work. I get more and more requests from users that run into that
> issue, so I think we should provide a simple way to install a pear file
> with an API so that it can be accessed from an application.

+1 to having an easy way to install a PEAR file.  I guess I always
thought we had that already in the InstallationController class.  This
is the code you're referring to that's too complex and not well
documented?

> My thought was to have a PearInstaller class with an installPearPackage
> method in a way like
>
> PearInstaller.installPearPackage(File installDir, File pearPackage,
> boolean verification, boolean installToRootDir, boolean localInstall)

Maybe this can just be added as a static method on
InstallationController?  And if the documentation on
InstallationController can be improved, by all means let's do that.

-Adam