uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject wikis
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:18:49 GMT
There seem to be (at least) 2 wiki systems in use at Apache.

One is based on moin-moin (python), and is for instance, found at
wiki.apache.org/incubator-yoko

Another one is based on confluence's wiki, and is found for instance, at
cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/

The cwiki may have additional capabilities.  For instance, some groups
are using it to do collaborative
authoring of documents.  For this, a permissions / login restriction is
needed to insure contributors have done ICLAs.

See: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CWIKI/Index

The cwiki's wiki's are autoexported to plain html, whenever edits occur,
so that high-volume serving can be done.
This export facility can be used for a projects "web-site" as well; some
projects are using it that way.  It appears that the Geranimo
project started down that path but is not currently using a wiki for
their web-site maintenance (they're using XDOC,
like we currently are).

One other thing I've noticed is that with the confluence wiki it's
possible to have comments on each page, and (optionally)
show them.  This might be interesting for building up community.  It
might also be available with the moin-moin version.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from the community including
mentors about which wiki system to pick.

-Marshall