uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: line ends, Windows, SVN and Eclipse
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:44:19 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> To do this, we need to always set
> svn:eol-style native on all the files that might be checked out and edited.

We need to be careful and selective when setting this property.  It's ok
for source code, but anything else, we need to check.  For example,
we've had endless trouble with text files that we use as test case
input.  If eol-style is set to native on those, test cases behave
differently on Windows and Unix/Linux.

So +1 to setting this property for all _text_ files, but -1 to setting
it to "native" indiscriminately.  For test case input (and possibly
others), the value should be set to "LF", as that's the most portable.

> Apache gives this advice here:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn, specifically
> the last two paragraphs:
>
>     Committers will need to properly configure their svn client.
>     One particular issue is OS-specific line-endings for text files.
>     When you add a new text file, especially when applying patches
>     from Bugzilla, first ensure that the line-endings are appropriate
>     for *your* system, then do ...
>
>     svn add test.txt
>     svn propset svn:eol-style native test.txt
>
>     Your svn client can be configured to do that automatically
>     for some common file types.
>     Add the list to your ~/.subversion/config
> <http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt> file.
>     However, you should still pay attention to the messages
>     from your svn client when you do 'svn commit'.

See above.  This is overly general in our case, as we treat some of our
text files as binary.

It's too bad that SVN has no "text encoding" property to set the code
page of text files.  That would be a very useful thing to check on commit.

--Thilo