uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: line ends, Windows, SVN and Eclipse
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:00:42 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> We need to be careful and selective when setting this property.  It's
> ok for source code, but anything else, we need to check.  For example,
> we've had endless trouble with text files that we use as test case
> input.  If eol-style is set to native on those, test cases behave
> differently on Windows and Unix/Linux.
> So +1 to setting this property for all _text_ files, but -1 to setting
> it to "native" indiscriminately.  For test case input (and possibly
> others), the value should be set to "LF", as that's the most portable.
+1

>>     Your svn client can be configured to do that automatically
>>     for some common file types.
>>     Add the list to your ~/.subversion/config
>> <http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt> file.
>>     However, you should still pay attention to the messages
>>     from your svn client when you do 'svn commit'.
>>
> See above.  This is overly general in our case, as we treat some of
> our text files as binary.
How about making .txt files that should be treated as test-case-input
have some distinguishing type extension?
That way, we could make use of subversion configuration settings, as
well as have shell scripts that we could
run occasionally to fix things, based on the extension.

What would be a good extension to use?  .txt_unix_line_ends ?
> It's too bad that SVN has no "text encoding" property to set the code
> page of text files.  That would be a very useful thing to check on
> commit.
We're allowed to add our own properties to files in SVN.  If you think
this would be useful, how about proposing property names and values for
this?

-Marshall