uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Pear installer API
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:48:05 GMT
>  After looking at the code, I have the following comments:
> the PackageInstaller code looks fine, except for one, but important thing -
> the uima.home directory is not set in the InstallationController before the
> verification is done. Instead, the verification code in the
> InstallationController is modified to use 'java.class.path' JVM property as
> the UIMA CLASSPATH. I don't believe, this code will work in  applications,
> where people just need to install/verify PEAR packages. The verification
> process usually requires most of UIMA JARs to be in the CLASSPATH,
> while applications, like PEAR Installer GUI, do not need most of the them.
> My recommendation is to add 'uimaHome' parameter to the
> PackageInstaller.installPackage method, or to intsruct application
> developers setting uima.home in their JVM properties. I also recommend
> rolling back modifications of the InstallationController class. As an
> alternative, we can check in the verification code of the
> InstallationController class if the uima.home is set, and use
> java.class.path, only if it is not set. This way we, at least, make
> sure that existing applications, like PEAR Installer GUI, will still be able
> to verify installed PEARs.

I agree it seems sensible to have a way for the user to optionally
specify a different classpath for finding the UIMA jars, and only fall
back on java.class.path if it is not set.

However I do think for most users java.class.path will probably work.
The classpath will have to contain uima-core.jar in order for the user
to be invoking these APIs, and that should be enough for most
annotators or analysis engines to run.

-Adam