uima-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Baessler <...@michael-baessler.de>
Subject Re: Pear installer API
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 09:10:50 GMT
Lev Kozakov wrote:
> To Thilo's suggestions:
>
> a) I don't think, 3 overloads is too much, but we should have at least 2:
> (pearFile, installDirPath) and (pearFile, installDirPath, verify).
> Verification is a time/resource consuming process, and users should be
> allowed to specify it explicitly or not to worry about it - it's just
> user
> friendly API.
> 'localInstall' is not needed - it's set automatically by
> InstallationController when a local PEAR file is specified;
> 'installToRootDir' is used in a very special case - it's not
> recommended for
> general users.
OK, thanks for the responses. I changed the classnames to
PackageInstaller and PackageInstallerException.
Have a separate exception for verification error seems not necessary to me.

I also removed the two method arguments localInstall and
installToRootDir. But we should document that to the install
directory the componentId of the pear file is added automatically. I
will work on the documentation for this.
Having the two method overloads (pearFile, installDirPath) and
(pearFile, installDirPath, verify) seems not very helpful
for the user/developer from my perspective. I think it is sufficient to
have (pearFile, installDirPath, verify).

Thanks

--Michael