uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Should the SDK assembly contain all three formats of documentation?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:36:53 GMT
Adam Lally wrote:
> We're currently generating documentation in three formats: PDF,
> single-page HTML, and multiple-page HTML.  We can put all three
> formats on the website, but should the UIMA SDK distribution contain
> all three?
How about multiple distributable package things - one with everything (big),
one without the docs, and the docs separately available - each kind?
> As far as size goes, the 3 books that Marshall has completed take up a
> total of about 9MB, zipped, for all three formats.  Most of the space
> is in images, but the images are duplicated in the PDF and HTML
> essentially doubling the space requirement versus having only one of
> those formats.
The images can be shrunk; there's a way to add an additional step that
uses ghostview (surprise) which can read a PDF and reduce the image
sizes (at some cost in resolution).

Also- note that PDF process is reproducing images way too big - that's
something yet to be figured-out and fixed.
-Marshall