uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Best practice: UIMA distribution to unpack into directory?
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:08:23 GMT
Adam Lally wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> it is considered good practice on Apache to have distributions create a
>> directory, and not to unload into the current directory (see recent
>> discussions on incubator-general).  There is a simple switch in Maven
>> that lets us do that: it creates a subdirectory with the same name as
>> the version string, currently uimaj-2.1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.  It would
>> be a departure from our current practice, but an improvement I think.
>> Objections?
>
> Also would this affect the absolute paths we have in some of our
> descriptors?  They are currently rooted at c:\Program
> Files\apache-uima.  This gets replaced (with the value of UIMA_HOME)
> by the adjustExamplePaths script, but still it seems like the default
> value ought have the possibility of matching an initial install on
> some platform.

My primary concern is that our distributions should unpack into a
directory.  If we can agree on that, I'm fairly easy on what that
directory is called.  "apache-uima" is a fine name.  I would prefer to
have the version number in there, but if there are overriding concerns,
that's not a big deal.

--Thilo