uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Writing something about the Sandbox
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:41:51 GMT
On 2/1/07, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> Here's what the Lucene folks say about their sandbox:
>
> "Lucene project also contains a workspace, Lucene Sandbox, that is open
> to all Lucene committers, as well as a few other developers. The purpose
> of the Sandbox is to host various third party contributions, and to
> serve as a place to try out new ideas and prepare them for inclusion
> into the core Lucene distribution.
> Users are free to experiment with the components developed in the
> Sandbox, but Sandbox components will not necessarily be maintained,
> particularly in their current state."
>
> The Lucene sandbox is part of every Lucene release, it just comes with
> this disclaimer.  Since we've been modeling our sandbox on theirs, this
> is what we're aiming for.  I don't think we should add the sandbox to
> the first release, but after that, why not.

I did grab the lucene distribution and I do see you are right, there
is a contrib folder with the sandbox components.  (The quote you
posted, to me, doesn't imply that, but I see it's the case.)

However, does this always contain ALL sandbox compoments?  I see that
there are some folders in their sandbox SVN that are not in the
contrib directory of the Lucene 2.0.0 release (e.g., db, gdata-server,
javascript).

So perhaps there is after all a case-by-case decision made on each
sandbox component deciding when it is ready to be released?

-Adam