uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Glossary Definitions for UIMA, Apache UIMA
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:28:18 GMT
Some questions I had on glossary definitions.  Currently we have the
following definitions in our glossary:

---------------------
UIMA: UIMA is an acronym that stands for Unstructured Information
Management Architecture; it is a software architecture which
specifies component interfaces, design patterns and development
roles for creating, describing, discovering, composing and deploying
multi-modal analysis capabilities.

UIMA Java Framework:
A Java-based implementation of the UIMA architecture. It provides
a run-time environment in which developers can plug in and run
their UIMA component implementations and with which they can
build and deploy UIM applications.

UIMA Software Development Kit (SDK):
The SDK includes the framework plus additional components such
as tooling and examples. Some of the tooling is Eclipse-based
http://www.eclipse.org/).

Should the definition for UIMA refer to the OASIS TC?

Should the following two terms be renamed to Apache UIMA Java
Framework and Apache UIMA SDK?  And should there be a definition for
"Apache UIMA" without the "SDK" part - in which case what is the
difference, Apache UIMA is the project, and the SDK is the artifact we
produce?

-Adam