uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject What should default output dir for example CAS Consumers be?
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:54:05 GMT
I'm looking for opinions on what we should set the output dir
parameters to, for example for the XCAS CAS Consumer.

Right now it is c:/temp/uima/xcaswriter.  Other CAS consumers have
similar settings under c:/temp/uima.

I was recently surprised to discover that the adjustExamplePaths
scripts replace "c:/temp" with "temp", so these become relative paths.
 Was that intentional?  I opened this as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-302.

I thought the intention was that this would be replaced by /tmp on
unix.  But then again, issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-300 shows that this might
not be such a good idea, to use a shared directory on a multi-user
system.

So maybe then, a relative path is best?  We could just set the output
dir parameters to be something like "output/xcaswriter".  Or does
anyone have a different suggestion?

I think we should do something, right now it is disconcerting that if
you don't run adjustExamplePaths the output goes in the absolute
c:/temp dir, but if you do run adjustExamplePaths it no longer goes
there, but in a relative directory.  (When I ran into this it took me
quite a while to figure out where my output was going!)

-Adam