uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: setting up for download of release
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:54:46 GMT
On 2/12/07, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> I looked at several incubator projects to see how they're doing things.
>
> Most have a downloads html page on their website (so do we - for
> downloading the Eclipse Code Style Prefs).

We have a downloads.html page which is just a placeholder for links to
our releases.  It doesn't have the Eclipse Code Style Prefs.  (I did
put the Eclipse Code Style Prefs in a directory called "downloads",
but that was just because I needed to put it someplace that wasn't
just alongside all the other .xml source files for our website.)

> Where they host the download zip / tar file varies, including:
>    people.apache.org/some-user
>    the project website, under a dir called "downloads"
>    The maven repository for incubating projects:
>       people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/

I see a lot of them hosted at http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator.
 Looks to me like that's the preferred place for those not using
Maven.

org/apache/openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating-binary.zip

> I don't know the reason for the repeated names in this example - they
> seem redundant to me.

You mean why is the directory 0.9.6-incubating needed?  I think it's
because that directory would contain many files - the binary and
source distributions, and their signatures/checksums.  I think that's
a good idea.

> Have we discussed how to do this?  My preference would be to borrow
> something like OpenJPA does
> (incubator.apache.org/openjpa/downloads.html) and change it to suit.  I
> don't have a strong
> feeling about using Maven repository - I think that may be useful if
> other projects are treating your project
> as a maven component - and I don't think we've crossed that bridge yet,
> so something simpler would probably
> be better for now?   My (slight) preference would be to have our
> downloads in our existing /downloads directory.

Can you give an example of another project that has their downloads in
their website's downloads directory?  OpenJPA doesn't seem to (it has
links to the maven repository).  Maybe it's discouraged?

I think we don't need to worry about putting our stuff in the Maven
repository, yet.  We can always do that later.

-Adam