uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: UIMA documentation improvements
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:48:58 GMT
Michael Baessler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some suggestions, that I think will improve our documentation.
> Please let me know what you think.
>
> 1) I miss a readme file in our distribution that contains some first
> steps like:
>    - Environment variables/setup for command line tools: how do it set
> them, so that I can use the provided script files
>    - Verification steps to verify if the installation was correct
>    - Getting Started section that links me to the HTML or PDF
> documents. Explain which book contains the content I'm interested in.

+1  There is a Jira issue open for this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-240

> 2) Maybe we can improve the names of our pdf files. They should at
> least contain UIMA in the file name. If someone copies the files from the
>    UIMA install directory to another place, the names are not related
> to UIMA.

Probably late to do for 2.1 release.  Would impact the docbook build
script.  Could do in next release.

> 3) Thilo already changed the doc directory layout slightly. The docs
> directory now contains a api, html and pdf directory. Within the html
> directory there
>    are the subdirectories for the different docbooks. I think it will
> be good to have something like an index.html directly in the html
> directory that links to the
>    different books we have. Also it gives the user a short overview
> and tells them where to find the information he needs.

+1 to having an index.html.  It could link, besides the docbook html
books, other useful things, like the readmes, etc.