uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Writing something about the Sandbox
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:58:40 GMT
Other projects seem to treat the sandbox differently than as described
below; I would prefer to keep the sandbox
aligned with usual Apache concepts for it, which seem to be - it's a
subproject for potential new additions to the project or to subprojects
of it, and things here are works in progress, with no guarantee that
they will ever be promoted to
an official release of the project its subprojects.

We should (in my opinion) establish other subprojects which can do
releases, etc., beyond the sandbox, for things like
annotators, parsers, consumers, and tooling.   Things would graduate
from the sandbox into one of these subprojects (or into the main Apache
UIMA project) when we want to convey some higher level of support /
testing / acceptance, and to have official "distributions/releases" for.

I think that the sandbox should not be a subproject which does
"distributions/releases".  This allows more freedom
to tinker, which I think is a valuable thing to have as some part of the
project.

-Marshall