uima-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Baessler <...@michael-baessler.de>
Subject Re: UIMA documentation improvements
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:14:30 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Michael Baessler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have some suggestions, that I think will improve our documentation.
>> Please let me know what you think.
>>
>> 1) I miss a readme file in our distribution that contains some first
>> steps like:
>>    - Environment variables/setup for command line tools: how do it
>> set them, so that I can use the provided script files
>>    - Verification steps to verify if the installation was correct
>>    - Getting Started section that links me to the HTML or PDF
>> documents. Explain which book contains the content I'm interested in.
>
> +1  There is a Jira issue open for this:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-240
>>
>> 2) Maybe we can improve the names of our pdf files. They should at
>> least contain UIMA in the file name. If someone copies the files from
>> the
>>    UIMA install directory to another place, the names are not related
>> to UIMA.
>

> Probably late to do for 2.1 release.  Would impact the docbook build
> script.  Could do in next release.
I opened a Jira issue for this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-258 (release 2.2.)

>> 3) Thilo already changed the doc directory layout slightly. The docs
>> directory now contains a api, html and pdf directory. Within the html
>> directory there
>>    are the subdirectories for the different docbooks. I think it will
>> be good to have something like an index.html directly in the html
>> directory that links to the
>>    different books we have. Also it gives the user a short overview
>> and tells them where to find the information he needs.
>
> +1 to having an index.html.  It could link, besides the docbook html
> books, other useful things, like the readmes, etc.
I would like to have the readme of 1) on the top level of the UIMA
distribution and not in the docs sub folder. Can the index.html be
created also using docbook with links,
or must we create that file without using docbook, since only we know
our build structure for the html books?

-- Michael