uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Writing something about the Sandbox
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:18:59 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Michael Baessler wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Maybe some of these project get also integrated to the core framework.
>> But I'm not sure if, e.g. annotator components will be added to the
>> core. I think such analysis components will ever stay in the sandbox
>> and can be downloaded there. Other opinions?
>
> I prefer creating "subprojects" of Apache UIMA to hold these, for
> reasons stated in previous notes.  For instance, how about a subproject
> called "Apache UIMA Components", holding annotators?  (Another
> subproject might be "corpii" - common test data, etc.)  We could do
> distributions/releases of these.
>
> -Marshall

The plural of corpus is corpora ;-)

I would hesitate to create that much structure when we have 2 annotators
in the sandbox, hopefully one piece of tooling soon and nothing else so
far (not a single corpus in sight, afaik).

We can hold certain pieces of software back from a release if they're
too shaky even with a huge disclaimer (as Adam suggests in another
mail).  Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm pointing at Lucene all the time because that's clearly a model that
works.  They have all kinds of stuff in their sandbox.  Why don't we
start out that way, and if it gets too much, we reorg.

--Thilo