uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept CAS Editor (tae) bulk contribution into Sandbox?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:32:56 GMT
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thank you all for accepting my contribution.
> First we should rename the tool as mentioned to CAS Editor.
>
> What must I do to get access to the svn repository to checkin
> the project ?

Hi Jörn -

We've drafted some project guidelines here:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/project-guidelines.html

If you click on the "Roles and Responsibilities" link, you'll find
information about
the "Contributor" and "Committer" roles.

Everyone has read-access to the SVN Repository, but only Committers have
write access.

Getting to the point of having write access requires building up a
history of contributing
first, as a "Contributor", over some period of time.   After that
period, the process of being
elected a Committer can occur.

Contributors do the same work as Committers, but their changes are
submitted not
directly to the SVN repository, but rather by attaching patches to Jira
issues, where
they are reviewed and committed by the Committers.

Although a bit cumbersome, this process is in place to balance getting
contributions
from the community, with the risks inherent in allowing new, and
therefore not as well known,
people to have write access.

It is important for our project to get a diverse yet committed set of
"committers" so we
highly encourage you to go through this process!

A bit more technical info on contributing can be found here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html.  Please feel free to ask
any startup
questions here, as well.  We'll try and answer quickly, and also update
our web docs
so future new project contributors can more easily find out how to help.

We look forward to receiving and working with your contributions :-)

-Marshall