uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: What should default output dir for example CAS Consumers be?
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:21:01 GMT
Adam Lally wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions on what we should set the output dir
> parameters to, for example for the XCAS CAS Consumer.
>
> Right now it is c:/temp/uima/xcaswriter.  Other CAS consumers have
> similar settings under c:/temp/uima.
>
> I was recently surprised to discover that the adjustExamplePaths
> scripts replace "c:/temp" with "temp", so these become relative paths.
> Was that intentional?  I opened this as
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-302.
>
> I thought the intention was that this would be replaced by /tmp on
> unix.  But then again, issue
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-300 shows that this might
> not be such a good idea, to use a shared directory on a multi-user
> system.
>
> So maybe then, a relative path is best?  We could just set the output
> dir parameters to be something like "output/xcaswriter".  Or does
> anyone have a different suggestion?
>
> I think we should do something, right now it is disconcerting that if
> you don't run adjustExamplePaths the output goes in the absolute
> c:/temp dir, but if you do run adjustExamplePaths it no longer goes
> there, but in a relative directory.  (When I ran into this it took me
> quite a while to figure out where my output was going!)
>
> -Adam

+1 to not have adjustSamplePaths change the Windows c:/temp to temp.
That seems wrong.

As for the larger picture - I think it would make sense to have output
from example code that the
user runs go into the "working directory" or the more global "temp" dir,
provided that some safeguards are there to prevent
overwriting some user files accidentally.  This could take the form of
writing to working-dir/temp/uima-qualified-name
under the assumption that things in temp in the working dir/temp are
probably ok to overwrite, especially if
the name starts with some uima prefix that is unlikely to be
purposefully in use.  (e.g., uima-example-xxxx).

If using a global /temp (in Unix) and supporting multiple users, it
seems it would be good to use some name
convention that included the user name.  I realize this would prevent a
user from launching some complex
multi-threaded thing with multiple components writing to /temp - but all
this is about example defaults, I think, and
that is not a realistic example scenario (if we do a complex example
like this, we can name the output default files to have different names).

-Marshall