uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: setting up for download of release
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:49:48 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> I looked at several incubator projects to see how they're doing things.
>
> Most have a downloads html page on their website (so do we - for
> downloading the Eclipse Code Style Prefs).
>
> Where they host the download zip / tar file varies, including:
>   people.apache.org/some-user   the project website, under a dir called
> "downloads"
>   The maven repository for incubating projects:
> people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/
>
> org/apache/openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-incubating-binary.zip

> I don't know the reason for the repeated names in this example - they
> seem redundant to me.
>
> Have we discussed how to do this?  My preference would be to borrow
> something like OpenJPA does
> (incubator.apache.org/openjpa/downloads.html) and change it to suit.  I

+1, if there is enough space on people.a.o (and there seems to be).

> don't have a strong
> feeling about using Maven repository - I think that may be useful if
> other projects are treating your project
> as a maven component - and I don't think we've crossed that bridge yet,
> so something simpler would probably
> be better for now?   My (slight) preference would be to have our
> downloads in our existing /downloads directory.
>
> I suppose we need a "temporary place" to put these before they are
> officially blessed.  Maybe we could set up a dir called
> to_be_approved, with subdirs /downloads and /download.html - this latter
> being a proposed update to our existing
> download page.  Other opinions?

What I have seen done is that release managers put up the pre-approved
level on their private website on people.a.o.  I don't really care where
we put it, as long as we don't link to it from anywhere.  There's no
point in putting up artificial boundaries as the source code is freely
available, just so nobody other than incubator folks are tempted to look
for it.

--Thilo