uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Thoughts on extending FlowController API
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:59:48 GMT
On 3/6/07, Michael Baessler <mba@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
> Adam Lally wrote:
> > Your custom flow controller in its intialization can query the
> > <flowContraints> and find out that the sequence is supposed to be a1,
> > a2; and it can act accordingly.
> But is this not a little bit confusing for our users when using a
> fixedFlow constraint just to configure a custom flow?
>
> I think it would be better to have an additional flowConstraint tag like
> <customFlow> to specify the order of the custom flow. So that fixedFlow
> and capabilityLanguageFlow must only be used when
> these flows are used.

Perhaps it is a little confusing... but we have to find the path of
least-confusion. :)

To me it is also confusing to define a new tag <customFlow> and then
say that the only thing you're allowed to have in it is a flat list of
nodes.  The general idea of a custom flow is that it can make any kind
of flow decisions it wants.

Others, any opinions on what is the least confusing thing to do here?

-Adam