uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Zesch" <ze...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject AW: UIMA pear runtime
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 09:00:59 GMT
> > My thinking is that "pear runtime" is more closer to the " tooling"
> > than the
> > "framework". It is hard to draw the boundary. Also, there are many
> > runtimes
> > that UIMA can/may support.
> > I don't think that we should do something too specific to the "pear
> > runtime".
> If I look from a UIMA users perspective I see that there is something
> that is called pear to package annotators and UIMA components but
> there is no way to easy run these packaged components in the UIMA
> runtime later. So that's why I think the core framework should have
> a pear runtime integration and API to run these pear packages
> out of the
> box without doing anything manually after the pear installation.
>
> -- Michael

This seems more to be about "What do users really want?", thus I am
going to comment on this, even if I am not a developer.

I fully agree with Michael. I would really like to see a pear runtime to
be build into UIMA.
I know that there are many people (especially in the academic world),
who just want to use components packaged by others as easily as
possible.

-Torsten