uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: UIMA pear runtime
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 14:20:18 GMT
On 5/4/07, Michael Baessler <mba@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
> OK I implemented the following pearSpecifier resource:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <pearSpecifier xmlns="http://uima.apache.org/resourceSpecifier">
>     <resourceType>InstalledPear</resourceType>
>     <pearPath>/home/test/WhitespaceTokenizer</pearPath>
> </pearSpecifier>
>
> The resourceType is the type of the pear archive we use. So maybe in the
> future we can also work on archived pear files that do not have to be
> installed before.

Just a minor comment here, <resourceType> is used in the URI Specifier
to mean something different.  It is set to either AnalysisEngine or
CasConsumer to indicate what kind of component is expected at the
other end of the service.  You are using it differently here so maybe
give it a different name?  Maybe even <installed>true</installed>, or
leave it out for now entirely until uninstalled pears are supported.

> The pearPath is the path to the installed pear root directory. If we
> decide to work also on archived pear files, this path can also be a
> valid pear archive file path.
>
> Additionally the pearSpecifier can have parameters like
>   <parameters>
>        <parameter name="ParamName" value="ParamValue"/>
>    </parameters>
> but currently I don't see the need for this.
>
> I also added the necessary methods for the ResourceSpecifierFactory and
> for the XMLParser.
>
> Additionally to the new pearSpecifier stuff I added an extra step in the
> pear installation api to automatically create a pearSpecifier when a
> pear file is installed.
> So after the installation of a pear file in the main root directory of
> the installed pear there is a descriptor called <componendID>_pear.xml
> that can be used
> to easily run the installed pear file unsing CVD or any other UIMA
> tooling. With this, no classpath changes or anything else is necessary
> to run the pear. The created descriptor can also be used to add it to an
> aggregate that should contain the pear.
>
> With these changes I think the pear stuff is more attractive to use than
> before.

Agreed.  Nice work.

-Adam