uima-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Baessler <...@michael-baessler.de>
Subject Re: UIMA pear runtime
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 09:37:06 GMT
After doing most of the UIMA pear runtime work... I would like to
suggest something else that came to my mind when implementing the pear
runtime.

Currently we work with a customResourceSpecifier. I would like to change
that to a real pearSpecifier. There are two main reasons.
    - Since the pear runtime is fully integrated to the UIMA core, I
don't like that the descriptor has the source class that is used to load
the pears in the specifier.
       When using an own descriptor we can hide this unnecessary setting
from the user.
    - When we are now able to run pears in an aggregate flow, we may
should also take care of the input and output capabilities for the pear
main component descriptor. So
       my suggestion is to create a pear descriptor that also can have
input and output capabilities, so FlowController can handle pears as well.

To make the whole pear stuff easier to use for the user, I would like to
generate the pearSpecifier during the pear installation. We have all the
necessary information when the pear is installed and can also set the
input and output capabilities. So our users can use the generated pear
descriptor to run the pear or to reference it in an aggregate descriptor.

What do you think?

-- Michael