uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Images in documentation
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:26:35 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Everybody,
>
> I'm in the process of updating the CVD docs, and struggling with
> the images again.  Since I've found no way to make things work for
> both pdf and html, I've decided to go with html.  I'm leaving the
> images unscaled, which looks good in the browser.  In pdf, they
> come out way too big, but that's better than too small and
> unreadable.  I assume that there is still no way to make this work
> for pdf *and* html.  Marshall?

This was resolved in the last big update to the docbook stuff.  Here's
how it's done:

In your markup you says something like:

 <imagedata width="230px" format="JPG"
fileref="&imgroot;basic_error_chain.jpg"/>

The important part is to specify the width somehow.  This should be with
width for pdf (one that makes it
look nice in pdf output).

The pdf transformation has this in it (see
uima-docbook-tool/styles/uima-style/common/html-pdf.xsl):

<!-- expand plain imageobject nodes into doubles, one for fo output the
other for html output
       Scale the html output by 1.1 for inches or 1.4 for pixels -->

What this does is replace your markup with a "double" markup, one
conditioned on html output, the other on pdf
output, and changes the width param according to a scale factor which
depends on whether you specify the
width in pixels or some absolute measurement like inches or cm.

If it's not working, let me know...

-Marshall