uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 Generics
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:10:28 GMT
> None yet that I know of.  Feel free to draft some kind of proposal,
> and
> post here or perhaps on our wiki.

If I got it right its possible to just insert generics everywhere in
our code without
breaking any code which does not use generics.

The java compiler does a source-to-source translation and replaces
the generics
with explicit cast like its done now in our code. After the source-to-
source translation
the code should be the same as now.

Eclipse has a re-factoring tool which can guess generics but does not
always work correctly.
Someone must dig trough the code and change all the generics in a
semi automatic manner with
the tool. Maybe it will help if all interfaces are converted first.

I would offer to do this job for the uimaj-core project I already
planned to take a closer look at
the source code, so I can do it together.

Jörn