uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Release Upload
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:28:17 GMT
Michael, can you upload?  I think a good candidate layout for uploading
would be:

...dist/uima/KEYS   where the public keys go

The httpd project has an organization of
   binaries    /   release-id'd artifacts    << for binaries
   docs        /   release-id'd artifacts   << for documentation
   (nothing)  /  release-id'd artifacts      << for source, announcements

They also have at the top level, besides the KEYS dir,
   Announcement-<release-version>
   CHANGES-<release-version>

    libapreq    << a place to put libraries which are prereqs, I think,
which don't change from release to release.
   patches      << a place to put patches to releases
   tools          << tools they use to create releases (this seems the
wrong place to put such things, to me).

An alternative would be to switch the order:
   start with the release-id (e.g. uimaj-2.2.1-incubating)
          and have under it:
          bin
          src
          doc

Any opinions as to preferences?  Robert - is there a "best practice" here?

My slight preference is to have, for those things that occur with every
release, the organization of
   uimaj-2.2.1-incubating / bin
   uimaj-2.2.1-incubating / src
   uimaj-2.2.1-incubating / doc

I think this will make "archiving the release as a unit, somewhat easier.

For things that users may want to "scan" in order to pick the "right"
release, we probably should pull these up to the top level, like in
httpd.  I'm thinking here of
    Announcement<version> and
    Changes<version>

-Marshall