uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Upload
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:47:27 GMT
On Dec 19, 2007 9:28 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> Michael, can you upload?  I think a good candidate layout for uploading
> would be:
>
> ...dist/uima/KEYS   where the public keys go
>
> The httpd project has an organization of
>    binaries    /   release-id'd artifacts    << for binaries
>    docs        /   release-id'd artifacts   << for documentation
>    (nothing)  /  release-id'd artifacts      << for source, announcements
>
> They also have at the top level, besides the KEYS dir,
>    Announcement-<release-version>
>    CHANGES-<release-version>

if you're going to stuff at the top level, a header.html can sometimes
be useful (see eg http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/)

>     libapreq    << a place to put libraries which are prereqs, I think,
> which don't change from release to release.
>    patches      << a place to put patches to releases
>    tools          << tools they use to create releases (this seems the
> wrong place to put such things, to me).
>
> An alternative would be to switch the order:
>    start with the release-id (e.g. uimaj-2.2.1-incubating)
>           and have under it:
>           bin
>           src
>           doc
>
> Any opinions as to preferences?  Robert - is there a "best practice" here?

there are several reasonable starting points for developing a process
that works.

you've already highlighted httpd which usually sets a standard.

ant is another standard followed by many projects including commons.
see http://www.apache.org/dist/ant/ and
http://commons.apache.org/releases/mirror.html. the idea is that easy
symlinks are available from the top level.

review a few strategies and then see what's likely to works best for UIMA

> My slight preference is to have, for those things that occur with every
> release, the organization of
>    uimaj-2.2.1-incubating / bin
>    uimaj-2.2.1-incubating / src
>    uimaj-2.2.1-incubating / doc
>
> I think this will make "archiving the release as a unit, somewhat easier.

archiving is done automatically (by a sync). all that matters is to
remember to delete old releases from dist (it's usually a release
manager task - when a new release is added, an older one is deleted.)

- robert