uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: permissions & owners on w.a.o/dist/incubator/uima
Date Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:17:29 GMT
On Dec 29, 2007 3:56 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Robert.
>
> I think we've finished with the tasks needed for migrating to the
> "mirror" system, perhaps with the exception of setting up .htaccess on
> w.a.o/dist/incubator/uima, and adding HEADER.html and README.html to
> that directory.  However, I see other projects do not necessarily have
> that.

policy is really pretty simple. the incubator insists that artifacts
go under w.a.o/dist/incubator/uima. infrastructure insists that
releases are mirrored, permissions are correct and that
signatures+sums are uploaded for every artifact. the rest is up to the
community to decide.

most projects have a lot more ceremony, rules and traditions. these
often evolve over time and it is common for projects to release too
late that they need to be documented. podlings should be able to short
circuit this process by taking a look at the documented best practices
and picking out the ones they like. these can form the basis of a
release management document for the podling. it's easier to modify and
add new practices than to start from nothing.

HEADER.html and README.html give a professional look but are not
policy. if UIMA thinks they are worth the effort then add them to
UIMA's release documentation, if not then that's fine.

- robert