uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cas Editor build script
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 14:36:43 GMT
> I committed some changes for the CasEditor build, please review and
> check if still all works fine.

Ok, cool, I just reviewed it.

Every time the caseditor.product file is changed with the product
editor the
Apache License Header ist gone. I already added it again.

You changed the build.xml file to copy the org.apache.uima.runtime from
${eclipseLocation}/plugins instead from the uimaj-ep-runtime project.
This change does not help, because the build already
looks at ${eclipseLocation}/plugins which are necessary for the build.
The build will work without copying it. Here is the story behind it.
The question a while ago was how we can handle the dependence
on the runtime plugin. My first solution to this was that we just copy
it
over from the uimaj-ep-runtime project. But this does not worked for
tagging the release and  building the Cas Editor from the source
package.
Then I extended the build script to not necessarily copy the runtime
plugin from the uimaj-ep-runtime project, but if it exists. The build
then works only
if the runtime is only located at ${eclipseLocation}/plugins. If both
ways
of getting the runtime plugin fail the build is halted and an error
message is printed to the console.

Do you think now we should only get the runtime plugin
from ${eclipseLocation}/plugins ?

All other changes you made are good.

> I recognized that the caseditor.jar does not have the correct files
> in META-INF directory and the
> Manifest.mf of the jar is also pretty empty. But I was not able to
> figure out how the build works
> that create this jar. Seems that all is done inside the AntRunner
> call. Is it possible to manipulate
> that? Can you please explain how this works?

Yes, the AntRunner call starts the eclipse product build script. The
build
process is configured in the build-files/build.properties file. This
build script is provided by
eclipse and it is like a black box. We feed it with everything it
needs and
then the build properly build Cas Editor comes out. If the build fails
it is sometimes hard
to diagnose the problem.

Why is the manifest.mf in the jar important ?
The caseditor.jar which comes out is only a part of the caseditor
plugin, the plugin in
uses a different manfifest.mf in the META-INF folder.
Do you think it is better to package the caseditor plugin as jar, as
it was done
for the runtime plugin ?

Jörn